I am a self-proclaimed taco fiend so I’m always searching for different ways to top my tacos. This Mexican cabbage slaw is so fresh and crunchy and will go with anything, whether it’s shrimp tacos, refried bean tacos or just as a side salad.
What I love about this Mexican cabbage slaw is that it doesn’t include mayonnaise, making it light enough to go with literally anything. Traditionally the cabbage slaw served with tacos includes something creamy, (whether it be mayonnaise, sour cream or yogurt) but this recipe relies on a combination of sweet and sour flavors to make it the star of your taco.
Mexican Cabbage Slaw Ingredients
- Cabbage: This is the most important part of the dish! I like to use a combination of red and green for visual interest. But you could easily use one or the other depending on your preference or what you have in-house.
- Carrot: I like to add a grated carrot for additional flavor and color.
- Lime: The lime juice gives the salad a fresh, citrus taste that’s perfect for a fish taco and would compliment this avocado sauce really well.
- Honey: While this is an unusual ingredient, I find it really elevates the slaw. The hint of sweetness really cuts through the sourness of the lime and gives the dish depth.
- Jalapeño: This is totally optional but I love the spicy kick it gives the slaw.
- Seasoning: Salt and pepper are of course needed to bring out all the beautiful flavors.
How to Make the Slaw
Chop your cabbage into ribbons around 2 inches long, grate your carrot, julienne the jalapeño and add the seasoning and honey and mix it up! You may need to use a second spoon to make sure you get all of the honey out of the measuring spoon. That’s all that’s involved. It comes together super quickly.
Make sure to taste the slaw to ensure it’s seasoned to your liking.
What to Serve with It
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to post it to Instagram and tag me!
Mexican Cabbage Slaw
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 1 cup green cabbage
- 1 small-medium carrot, about 3/4 cups
- 1 jalapeño, julienned optional
- 1/2 lime, juiced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 twists pepper
- Cut the cabbage into ribbons that are around 2 inches long, grate the single carrot, julienne the jalapeño and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add the lime juice, honey, salt and pepper and then mix throughy. Taste and season to taste.